As a COVID-19 shaped spotlight was shone on NCDs in 2020, national and regional NCD alliances mobilised communities, engaged local authorities and civil society, raised awareness, and demanded action on NCDs, while drawing attention to the particularly disruptive impact COVID-19 has had on people living with NCDs.
Ten member alliances in Africa, the Americas, and Asia were awarded 2020 Act on NCDs Campaign Fuel awards for planning and implementing inspiring and effective campaigns that addressed accountability, and called for action on NCD commitments from governments, private sector and other stakeholders.
The ten alliances receiving 2020 Act on NCDs Campaign Fuel Awards were:
• Alliance MNT Benin led a campaign during the Global Week for Action that focused on mobilising community to demanding accountability through health screenings and meeting with local authorities.
• Cameroon Civil Society NCD Alliance hosted a press conference and organised health screenings demanding specific key action points on alcohol, tobacco and sugary beverages.
• Coalition MNT-Togo organised a press conference focusing on existing commitments and treaties the Togolese government has made while also highlighting key action to address priorities of people living with NCDs. (see image)
• Healthy Caribbean Coalition hosted a campaign that leveraged social media to call on Heads of Governments in the region to accelerate action on commitments to address the burden of NCDs.
• Healthy India Alliance curated activities focused on advocating on the rights of PLWNCDs and building capacity of the civil society to demand accountability.
• Mexico SaludHable led a campaign that focused on advocacy calling for an update of the country’s tobacco control law through a forum attended by government officials and the civil society.
• NCD Alliance Kenya planned a well-curated campaign developed and led by PLWNCDs focused on communicating key asks and demanding action from government, including an innovative social media campaign and letter to the Cabinet Secretary of Health.
• NCD Alliance Nigeria organised a coherent series of activities which culminated with a roundtable discussion with government officials and legislators to demand accountability on previous commitments.
• South African NCD Alliance hosted an innovative virtual webinar to call on governments to address key action on NCDs.
• Zambia NCD Alliance led strategic activities that focused on enabling member organisations to demand accountability and using local media to advocate on NCD priorities.
The theme of the 2021 Global Week for Action on NCDs, 6-12 September 2021, will be announced shortly. Save the date, start planning and meanwhile keep an eye on social media as we showcase the activities of winning alliances over coming weeks to spark inspiration.
The 2020 Act on NCDs Campaign Fuel Awards were made possible thanks to NCD Alliance’s partnership with Access Accelerated.