Reach decision makers and have your say.
‘Contact your government, record a video message, write a blog’
Embrace the power of the pen (& keyboard)
Write a letter - by post or email - to your Minister of Health / Foreign Affairs / Finance / Development to discuss your priorities on health and NCDs encouraging governments to take more meaningful action on NCDs. You can also check out our tip sheet for writing.
You might like to draw information from the stakeholder actions in the campaign theme section of this website.
Who could you contact?
- The Prime Minister or President, key advisers and staff;
- Minister of Foreign Affairs or Development, key advisers and staff;
- Minister of Health, including NCD focal points and key advisers;
- Minister of Finance, key advisers and staff;
- Members of government task forces or committees on health and development related issues;
- Your country’s UN Missions in New York and Geneva;
- Politicians and policy officials in related ministries required for policy coherence, such as finance, education, environment, trade, transport, agriculture;
- Influencers – such as parliamentarians, civil society leaders, healthcare professionals, donors, business leaders, opinion leaders, and the media.
Write a Blog or OpEd
The NCD Alliance has a blog and welcomes well written submissions from its members. (Get in touch here). Other members of our network also have blogs and you may be able to submit writing on a theme related to their focus of work.
Alternatively, pitch a story, write a letter to the editor or an op-ed for a local or national paper – and don’t forget to let us know when it’s published.
More momentum building actions
- Link up & cross-fertilise: Do you work in another sector, such as environment, women, men, nutrition, children, ageing, mental health, poverty reduction, education, trade… and can see how your work impacts NCDs and how NCDs impact your field? Show those links through communication and advocacy. Reach out to others to start a conversation on how you might be able to work together to achieve common objectives. Useful resources include Sectoral Briefs & NCDs across the SDGs.
- Promote the ACT on NCDs campaign in your country. Visual resources are available for you to use in several languages, as are campaign priorities, and we can help you with template press releases. See the Act on NCDs Brand Guidelines.
- Encourage thought leaders, influencers, and decision makers in your community to consider becoming NCD champions. If you are interested in nominating a champion, please contact us!
- Record a video message and share via social media. Tell the world how NCDs have impacted you and why world leaders must take action now. ‘Vox pop’ interviews are typically succinct, pertinent and powerful, ideally no more than 60 seconds in length. It can be shared on YouTube, Twitter or Facebook. Contact us if you would like us to consider sharing through NCDA and network channels. If you have some video producing skills, try adding the ACT on NCDs logo.
- Keep us posted! Add events and activities to the Map of Impact or email us your news and achievements.
- Share intelligence, achievements and feedback with the NCD Alliance on your discussions with your government on integrating NCDs into their activities domestically and internationally. Contact the NCDA.
- Share your views, your voice in Global Consultation of people living with NCDs. The NCD Alliance launched an online consultation on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on people living with NCDs and recommendations to Build Back Better. The consultation survey, part of the Our Views, Our Voices initiative, is available in English, French and Spanish, and will be open until the 25th of October 2020.